If you think you need urgent treatment, contact your usual dental practice and ask to be seen as an emergency. If you do not have a regular dentist, you can still get urgent care. Contact your NHS England Local Area Team or call NHS 111.
You may need urgent treatment if you have:
- toothache or swelling that suggests an infection of a tooth or gum
- severe toothache or facial pain which is not controlled by taking over-the-counter painkillers
- trauma of the face, mouth or teeth after a recent accident or injury
- a permanent tooth being knocked out
- bleeding after tooth extraction that you cannot control
- serious swelling of the mouth or face which is getting worse