In order to assist us to make a full assessment of the potential risks to your health from your planned travel, we would ask that you make a Travel Clinic appointment with our Practice Nurse. Ideally, this appointment should be made around the time of booking your holiday, at least 6 weeks before you travel.
At your appointment we may ask the following questions to help us plan for your trip:-
- When are you departing and for how long?
- Where are you going, including the destinations within a country?
- Where are you staying, e.g. backpacking, camping, hotels?
- Are you planning to undertake any high risk activities?
- Have you taken out travel insurance and have you informed the company of any existing medical condition?
- If female and of child bearing age, is there any possibility you could be pregnant, or are you planning a pregnancy?
- Do you have any medical conditions, or a history of significant medical illness? (these can influence the choice of malaria tablets we recommend)
Travel Advice Leaflets
Useful External Websites
It would help us greatly if you had some awareness of the travel problems that you may be at risk from on your trip before you come for your appointment.
Please look at the following website, to read the information for the county you are visiting http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/
Other useful websites to look at are:-
- National Travel Health Network and Centre
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Public Health England
- Guidelines for malaria prevention in travellers from the UK
- Fit for Travel
- NHS Choices for advice on travel (in live well section)
- Site for drug information, SPCs
- British National Formulary
- World Health Organisation
- Centres for Disease Prevention and Control
- International Society of Travel medicine for travel clinics abroad
Useful Telephone Numbers
- Health Protection Scotland (for TRAVAX users)
Tel: 0141 300 1130 (2-4pm Mon. & Wed. and Fri. 9.30 – 11.30am)
- NaTHNaC (National Travel Health Network and Centre)
Weekdays 9am – 11.45am & 1pm – 3.45pm Tel: 0845 602 6712 (closed Wednesday afternoons)
- HPA Malaria Reference Laboratory, London, fax back service for complex malaria problems – complete the risk assessment form online at www.malaria-reference.co.uk then print off and fax to 020 7367 0248 and you should receive a faxed back answer in 3 working days
- GlaxoSmithKline: for Medical Information Dept. 0808 100 9997
- Janssen-Cilag Ltd: for Medical Information Direct 01494 567 444
- Novartis Vaccines: for Medical Information 0151 705 5000
- Sanofi Pasteur MSD: for Medical Information 01628 587693